The CUDC’s Cleveland Stories: True Until Proven Otherwise project is now in full swing with one successful StorySlam event completed, and a second in the works, as well as an upcoming exhibit opening on April 1, 2011 at the Cleveland Institute of Art’s Reinberger gallery, followed by the official book release in June. We tried to create a variety of ways for people to be involved in the project, including telling stories at the StorySlam, submitting stories through our online form and also a couple of creative competitions (with some financial incentives).
You can find more details on the Cleveland Stories project at our www.ClevelandStoryBook.com website, but here’s the important information on the two competitions, which we’re currently seeking submissions for:
Cleveland Stories Shoebox Diorama Challenge (said with a bellowing echo).
- WHAT: Construct a story you heard at the StorySlam, or one of your own, as a three-dimensional model in a shoebox.
- WHEN: Dioramas must be delivered by 4pm on March 21, 2011. The Cleveland Stories exhibit will open on April 1, 2011 and run through April 30, 2011.
- WHERE: Dioramas can be dropped off at either the Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative (1309 Euclid Ave. - Suite 200, Cleveland) or at the CIA Reinberger Gallery (11141 East Boulevard, Cleveland). The most inventive dioramas will be displayed at our Cleveland Stories exhibit at the Cleveland Institute of Art’s Reinberger Gallery.
- WHY: Each winning diorama artist will receive $50!
- Please see the Diorama Entry Form
Cover the City with Lines - Drawings of The dambl Maker
- WHAT: This drawing submission request is part of Paul Drueke’s project, Cover the City with Lines, which imagines a grass roots, guerrilla system of Bike Lanes as a memorial to Cleveland poet d. a. levy. Submit a drawing depicting your Bike Lane Machine - a bicycle that is altered, or outfitted, so that it marks a line (with impermanent material such as solid or sprayable chalk, light, etc) on the pavement as it’s ridden.
- WHEN: Now - Submissions due March 25, 2011. Exhibition opens on April 1, 2011.
- WHERE: Drawings up to 14″x18″ should be sent or delivered to the Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative. No digital submissions, but the definition of “drawing” is loosely interpreted.
- WHY: Win $100! All drawings will be exhibited as part of Cleveland Stories @ CIA.
- WHAT 2: Two drawings will be selected to receive $100 towards the fabrication of the Bike Lane Maker/Machine to be included in the Unveiling/Demo as part of the exhibit.
- WHEN 2: Throughout April.
- Please see the dambl_guidelines for more information on the Cover the City with Lines project.
We look forward to seeing your submission and having you be a part of Cleveland Stories!